War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: high idle = PSIK (m20, 19lb inj. hfe, ) requesting help to lower it.  (Read 7015 times)

falkor

PSIK on a m20 engine w/731 ported head, (new) 19lb inj, long tube headers, (2.5"downpipes to a single 3.5" tube + freeflow muffler) no-cat.

only the stock m20 tune will mellow the idle out, but then it drive cannot without stuttering (chugs and no-power)

with the stock psik, 19lb + hfe tune it revs to 3k. (drives but not clean/ choppy until about 4.5k then it screams with power and throws me into the seat, for about 2 seconds when i let my foot off the gas).

if i use the stock m20 tune, it can idle (still about 1.5k,) but cannot drive. here it sounds like its only firing on 3-5 pistons, and not all 6.. its loping.

i've tried tuning the stock m20 tune (upwards), and then started over with down-tuning the PSIK 19lb + HFE tune to attempt to lower the idle. (basically trying to match the stock m20 idle, (*or at least lower the psik tunes idle)

1st thing i tried was to set the idle speed to match the stock m20 (didn't work)
2nd - lower the idle fuel incrementally down to 111 across the board (still 3k rpm @ idle).
3rd -turned off the o2 sensor (eventually turned off all o2 sensors).  (same 3k idle)
4th - lowered the A/C on idle speed (same 3k idle)

then started to match all the stock m20 fields to the psik 19lb hfe with just a very slight difference between a stock psik 19lb hfe tune.

I have done File: save-as: (saved), and then open the saved file, with each change in tune, and 'opened' it back up into the same number, then hit "write". 
 this appears to write, and i see a semi slow green meter and it looks fine, with the green "ready" field.
also - set the lowered psik tune as default, and placed it in spot #1 (which looks like spot #2 in the software, on the screen...(which makes zero sense). but thats what i've been doing.

then plugging it back into my car, and starting it up, nothing is altering the idle speed.
 even the stock m20 tunes idle speed is 1k - 1.5k .
all the rest are 3k. and it sounds like 5k.

Help please (if you can) to 1st lower the idle speeds of the psik tunes, and then i can at least drive it to a dyno knowing i can actually change the values.

i have only altered these incrementally, and in this order
-idle speed (again, again, again, again, again,)
-idle fuel, (a few times, but not much)
-o2 sensor (set to off, i think, if its red, is it off or on?)
-idle A/C speed (to just a bit more than idle speeds new low #).
-P/T Fuel (only the lower rpm range, but across all load (ms)s
-idle ignition (lowered it by 1value across the rpm board)
-P/T ignition (lowerd to match the stock m20 (now semi-stock b/c of the o2 being off).

i've spent days on this, and months searching net for others to report numbers, but none have.
every day after work until it gets dark, and would like to take this car out on the road now.

any ideas ?
 nothing seems to help the simple idle speed.

reference pix can be middle clicked to open in full size on a separate tab

idle speed ( lowered and lowered down to 500, yet it still idles at 3k (sounds like 5k)

idle fuel;

PT/Fuel

WOT/ fuel, WOT/ignition =- unchanged

idle ignition

PT ignition

o2 sensor / off

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:27:05 PM by falkor »

falkor

Re: high idle = PSIK (m20, 19lb inj. hfe, ) requesting help to lower it.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 11:28:04 PM »

edited ^

bry195

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:01:22 PM »

do you have a vacuum leak?

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »

Unplug your TPS, unplug your ICV and plug off the ICV port so that no air can go throught the ICV circuit. This will tell you where your idle is by a natural mechanical stand point. What it does is default to the P/T map where the ECU won't try to control idle. If it does not change, your throttle body is mechanically adjusted too far open at idle. If it does settle down, then you have a problem with the idle control system.

There are a few other idle speed maps that may be used, but none of which would cause it to idle at 3K

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook