War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: E30 325 turbo tuning help  (Read 8192 times)

phill218

E30 325 turbo tuning help
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »

Intro:
    Phill newbie to forums so my apologies in advance.
The Car:
     1987 325 a/r.60 turbo (currently@7psi), 2.7 block 2.5 head, Arp headstud and carrier bearing, tri coated crank bearings through IE engineering, external wastegate GodSpeed, W.A.R. turbo tuning package #42lb injectors and the list goes on.
Issues:
   It starts hard warm, and idles on its own when it wants to warm without leaning out unexpectedly.  Often I cannot get from idle to part throttle with out it leaning to stall, in order to do so I have to repeatedly fully pump the throttle. I feel that is much attributed to the gap in the Load Axis on the spreadsheet between idle and part throttle:

Often when I write and save a tune then read it the rev limit has changed itself to 12,800....IDK why. Other than those things at full throttle it runs great!   
     If anyone has successful m20 turbo tunes or insight it would be much appreciated!
     Thank you,
             Phill
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 05:36:15 PM by phill218 »

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
Re: E30 325 turbo tuning help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »

Few basic questions...

Did you install the MAF as per the wiring instructions? Usually when the MAF is not installed properly the car will idle and work at WOT but be terrible at part throttle.

Is it in front of the turbo (on the intake or suction side) or on the pressure side of the system?

Did you cut the Brown/Black wire on the TPS to disable WOT?

Do you have a blow off valve or a recirculating valve?

How far away is your O2 sensor from the turbine outlet AND how big if you exhaust?

As per your RPM limit issue, how are you adjusting it? With the up and down buttons in the top right of the software? If you type a value that does not work (simply because of the math used in converting the RPM to a real world value) it COULD be causing it to go to 12800. But it should be rounding to the nearest possible value.

Also, your screen shots don't show the entire map, you are missing some RPM and higher load cells. If you are using a small ePC, this could be a problem with the screen resolution. Our Version 3 software is right around the corner and will fix that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:52:56 PM by millerperformance »

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

phill218

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »

I have done the install as per the manual provided.   I will have to modify the placement of my O2 sensor.  It is a 2.25" exhaust, yes i know its kinda small but it was the right price....  But for tuning purposes the O2 should be turned off correct?  And I have a B.o.v. not a recirculater.
     The advice for changing rpm values was taken and has been workin well. Does that hold true for changing other values such as fuel tables?   

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »

Correct, O2 sensor off during tuning. The BOV will create a rich condition between shifts and possibly decel as metered air will be escaping the system and the ECU has no way to know this.

The WAR Chip program should not have issues with the values entering properly, HOWEVER, if you do experience it, the up and down arrows always work as designed. If you need to make big changes, you can enter a value in the box beside the purple buttons and each "click" will increase the cell(s) by that amount instead of 1 increment at a time.

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook