War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wiring the T in the loom... a few notes on my application  (Read 7742 times)

falkor

wiring the T in the loom... a few notes on my application
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »

my car is and has been built fairly well, and does run, by someone, at sometime was great i guess, but i don't have any clue on who they were, or what they did...all i have is the car, and im trying to reverse engineer what they did.

afaik, they had a similar device like the war chip (if not an earlier version) and kept it when they sold the car.
the car came with evidence of a 3" tb, and a different intake, as it wouldn't even idle, and they just left a stock intake MAF just hanging in the engine bay...clearly there was another setup prior to my getting it...but anyways.

...onto the reason for the post.

reading page 9 in the directions, i found my car already has a few alterations to its wiring harness...

there are a few wires already cut, and a few "Tees" into the red wire...
the cut wires are not too much of an issue b/c the car has a lot deleted (A/C, PS, cc, ww, etc...and its also a 84 323i euro with a motronic harness (that works)...so...again, im not surprised its hacked a bit.

a few quesitons...about the "T" i will be making.
what does this tee wire connection do ?
and
should i re-wire up (or get a new) wire harness for this ?
or.
can i test out the psik + war chip by simply leaving the harness ? (after learning what wire is necessary. and routing them)

note:  i think i need a new harness (which i am willing to do if necessary) but wonder, if anyone has any further input before i rip it all out and start from scratch.

here is how it was when i bought it (notice about 3-5 wires sticking out of the taped up loom a few inches from the ECU they look freshly cut.

btw...clicking on a pic should open it in another tab and be able to be much larger as you click it there as well.

here is the wires im dealing with from my own harness

and yes, the rust will be dealt with in a few months when the cage goes in

falkor

Re: wiring the T in the loom... a few notes on my application
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 09:05:15 PM »

guessing the
 #  12    is to the AFM    and
 #  37    is to a relay

got almost everything sorted...but not tested...
fixed the window, locks, and my 19lb injectors arrived, so i want to install them too.

a bit of work to accomplish prior to going further, and of course the job that pays for it all...

but i did get this far.

falkor

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »

can someone specify which part of the grey / white wire stays intact ?

do i connect from the ecu to the red/blue wire, or
do i connect from the engine bay wires to the red /blue wire

the image is too vague... which way are the wires going ?

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 01:20:29 PM »

The grey white wire provides 5v power to the AFM in stock form. When you cut it, you are splicing the portion going out to the engine bay into Pin 37 to provide the MAF with 12v power. The portion of pin 12 that is shorter and going to the ECU just needs to be capped off.

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

falkor

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »

Thank you

all worked out well....took about an hour from start to finish with a playing around on different tunes.
found a few that let it idle, but now i just have to dig into the numbers....