War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no start issues  (Read 10343 times)

maxlebherz

• Car: 95 m3 - 24# euro maf w/ schrick cams
    • View Profile
no start issues
« on: July 19, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »

i recently installed the war chip as the directions instructed, i had a few problems getting a base tune on the chip but i was able to download them here from the forum. i installed the (s50 s52 3-5 Inch MAF 24# injectors w cams) on the chip, when i tried cranking over for the first time it would just keep cranking and cranking. i had a cylinder fire every once in a while but not enough to get her going. so i grabbed a few friends and we all push started it and it ran fine. i pulled it back into the driveway shut it down and tried again still cranks no start. i could smell fuel coming from the exhaust pipe so i know the injectors are firing and because we were able to get it to push start i know i have spark. so i tried messing with the idle fuel and ignition maps but to no avail, she still cranks her heart out but no start. my current setup is an s50us with 24# injectors euro maf and shcrick cams 272/280. im not the best with software but if one of you could give me a hint in the right direction i believe i would be able to get this lazy old sow off her rump and back on the road! thank you for your time and responses! help is much appreciated!

Alameer

• Administrator
  • Car: 1986 M50B30
    • View Profile
Re: no start issues
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:45:57 AM »

Hey buddy,

nice build you got there.
i would like to ask if the engine was running before using the WAR chip or it was just rebuilt and used with the WAR chip right after rebuilding.

was it running with another chip/ECU ? cause i would suggest and try to figure our if the problem is because of the WAR chip or some other mechanical issue.

i could suggest trying another ECU / chip to determine where the problem is.

maxlebherz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »

i rebuilt the engine maybe 5,000 miles ago and thats when i put the cams in, since then its been running on the 413 ecu with a Turner chip for the maf and injectors. it runs with the Turner chip but when i swap the miller chip in all i get is cranking. then i swap them back all is right with the world. luckily i have access to another obd1 m3! i just swapped ecus with the other m3, first i tried it with the Turner chip (started right up) second i tried the miller chip ( started after much cranking ). this time i had a few cylinders fire and it eventually stumbled and started up and ran fine afterwards. im going to try to re-upload the tunes using a different xp computer

Alameer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:48:24 AM »

well maybe you should try loading different S50 tunes, just for the sake of knowing if the problem is with the tune or what.

load different s50 tunes to the chip and try cranking the car with those different tunes and let's see what happens.

i very much believe in this case that it is a tune issue only.

maxlebherz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 01:11:58 PM »

i just uploaded 4 s50 tunes and she still cranks. after maybe 1 minute of cranking ( 5 sec intervals with cooldown time plus batt charger) it will start with no preference to any tune. right now i'm using : #1; s50 24# 3-5 maf, #2; s50 performance, #3; s50 s52 3-5 maf 24#, #4; s50 s52 3-5 maf 24# w cams. tune #4 runs the best but they all wont start the car

maxlebherz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 01:52:25 PM »

ok so i added three of the same tunes, then adjusted the cranking fuel on one 5 increments down, five increments up on another, and kept the third as a baseline. the baseline was the only one that would start but not after much cranking. at this point i'm out of my element and might just take it to a pro to get it tuned. know anybody in california san jose bay area?

Alameer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 03:14:58 AM »

if the car runs well on one chip and not the other (assuming that you are using the SAME ECU for both chips, i mean physically the same ECU) then the problem is with the tune.

i would suggest calling miller on their support line and checking with them before sending the car to a pro, phone #: 855 269 8863

but please make sure that you tested both chips on the same ECU in order to eliminate the chances of an ECU malfunction.

keep us updated buddy :)

maxlebherz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:49:09 PM »

yeah i tried both chips on both the ecu's and the same problem recurred so ill give them a call when i get some time on my hands. thank you again for taking the time to walk me through the troubleshooting process! Ill post again after i talk to tech support and possibly get her running!