War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't decide what to do right now  (Read 8488 times)

drag

• Car: E36 325i non vanos 94'
    • View Profile
Can't decide what to do right now
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »

I have a bone stock m50b25 non vanos and I want a turbo on it...

- Would it be smart to rebuild a part of the engine before turbocharging it? I get a small rattle from the engine on cold starts which is kind of annoying..

- If I get an m50b28 crank for my car can I run it with a stock ECU?

- What is the recommended kind of turbo/turbo size or turbo kit for my car which has a good base-map from the Miller Chip?

- And are there any good second hand turbo kits for sale which will work with the Miller chip or are there any second hand Miller chips for sale? Can I just run the Miller chip without a tune so I can test it before turbocharging my car?

- What kind of base-maps are available?

- Are there any benefits into getting an microsquirt instead for my particular build?

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Can't decide what to do right now
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »

If your car is a 94, did you swap a 91 or 92 NON vanos engine into it? If so, why? VANOS is very beneficial to a turbo setup. If you have the NON VANOS engine, do you also have the NON VANOS ECU? If that is the case, you will want to go standalone as you can't do much with the non vanos ECU in terms of tuning for larger injectors and a better MAF.

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

drag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 07:06:35 AM »

I have the Bosch 403, it used to be a 320i I am not sure if you have those in your country but it is a smaller 6 cylinder engine. I purchased it like this and I think they cut a few wires to remove the immobilizer part or something. Is the fact that I do not have vanos enough of an issue to a fact where your base-maps are no good to me? Or are the benefits to vanos+turbo so great that I should try and sell the car for a vanos model? Or perhaps an 328i? Or should I try to fit Vanos to my car? Do you have answers for the other questions I posted in the Topic start/ First post?

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 09:02:54 PM »

I don't know how I can answer your questions more... Simply put, we do not have any way to tune the non vanos ECU properly. You cannot change the MAF to a better sensor, scaling the injectors while maintaining the stock MAF is useless. The VANOS base maps DO NOT translate to the NON vanos systems. I stated it would be best to go standalone for a non vanos engine OR switch to a VANOS harness and ECU but at that point, just get at car with VANOS.

The only question that does not address is the crank and piston slap. You can put whatever crank you want in there that fits, but again, you will not be tuning it for turbo with the stock ECU. Piston slap when cold can be normal, or it can be a bad sign. It could also be a bad lifter or... without hearing the car in person it is hard to determine what the noise is.

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

drag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 03:10:20 PM »

I don't know how I can answer your questions more... Simply put, we do not have any way to tune the non vanos ECU properly. You cannot change the MAF to a better sensor, scaling the injectors while maintaining the stock MAF is useless. The VANOS base maps DO NOT translate to the NON vanos systems. I stated it would be best to go standalone for a non vanos engine OR switch to a VANOS harness and ECU but at that point, just get at car with VANOS.

The only question that does not address is the crank and piston slap. You can put whatever crank you want in there that fits, but again, you will not be tuning it for turbo with the stock ECU. Piston slap when cold can be normal, or it can be a bad sign. It could also be a bad lifter or... without hearing the car in person it is hard to determine what the noise is.

I have Bosch 403? Not sure if I have a Vanos harness tough. It is not piston slap just a little valve sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOI98O4EaY

So I am not sure if I can sell the car since I have made it sort of a road legal drift missile but really is that my only option other then to buy a vanos engine or go stand alone?