War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: w.a.r. chip base tune?  (Read 12756 times)

rippinbim

• Car: 94 325is
    • View Profile
w.a.r. chip base tune?
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »

I kind of have a few questions about the base tune. With me running an hx35, stock internals, arp's, .140 head gasket and about 10 to 12 psi, how will the base tune handle that? And also, is the software pretty user friendly?

Alameer

• Administrator
  • Car: 1986 M50B30
    • View Profile
Re: w.a.r. chip base tune?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 03:48:31 AM »

The software if pretty friendly, clear and easy to use.
base tune for NA won't work for your Turbo setup, timing and fuel maps for NA are so different to those found in a Turbo tune, unless you're using a Turbo base tune.

if you're using a Turbo base tune, then some other member could probably give us additional information as i'm not very familiar with that tune.

rippinbim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 03:59:46 AM »

Yea I was planning on the turbo base tune which should come with the m50 turbo tuning kit they have. I'm actually pretty sure it does

Alameer

• Administrator
  • Car: 1986 M50B30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:10:39 AM »

in your case, the turbo base tune is the tune where they provide to start a turbo car. which uses the safe values for fuel and ignition.

from what i know and read, the turbo base tune is provided to start the car and drive it from one place to another, while not pushing it through the RPMs and probably not excueeding 3000-4000 RPM, because each car has different injectors and turbo, so you don't want to push the engine and suffer from lean fuel value or whatever that could put your engine at the risk of being damaged.

my personal advice is to tune it in the soonest time possible and avoid exceeding 3-4k RPM.

rippinbim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 01:50:08 PM »

well i will have to exceed that when im logging and tuning. :-\ ill just have to watch air fuel ratios close i suppose. i know one guy, he bought the kit and hasnt touched pass the base tune and says he runs 11 flat afr in full boost.

Nick Stevens

• Car: 1995 BMW M3 Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 08:44:14 PM »

Where do you find these turbo base tunes?

bry195

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »

the base tune was safe for my 2.8 on a .140 and a to4e. I boosted to 5 psi, logged and modified. when I got it where i wanted I went to 8, 12, 15, 18. no problems. just small increments. the base tune is to get you to a dyno then with your logs they will dial it in.

rippinbim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »

Here's my question. How is a shop supposed to tune with miller when it has no live logging. And I have an issue with not having shops in my area that work with miller. I live near Minneapolis st. Paul area. So if I could get some answers there that'd be cool.

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »

You don't **need** live tuning to be able to tune anything. All the new, current BMW's are tuned "Blind" so to speak and they are 100x more complex than OBD1.

As for logging, there are a few things. One, a dyno and what it can log is good enough to refine a tune. The WAR Chip is not a development tool to make a new tune from scratch. Two, if the tuner(s) understand how an engine works and how a MAF based system works, they should be able to tune the software with the use of a dyno without the need to log what cells you are using. Three, if you must log, you can use a scan tool like the LAUNCH X431 or BAUM iScan CS2000 to figure out what load column you are in. That is kind of overkill but sometimes necessary.

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook