War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing SMT6 and Mallory 6a from War Chip system  (Read 9282 times)

scottiesharpe

Removing SMT6 and Mallory 6a from War Chip system
« on: August 11, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »

Dan setup my M88/3 powered E28 M5 with a Miller MAF and SMT6 and Mallory 6a.  He later added the WAR chip when it became available.   The MAF is wired directly into the SMT6 with its own harness. The stock harness is still there, unused.  The coil is wired to the Mallory 6a. The Mallory 6a is being triggered by the SMT6. The stock coil sires are there there, unused.

For many years the  car ran like a beast!  However lately I have been having issues where the motor will idle poorly, but will die when throttle is opened.  It acts as if there is no air flow signal being sent to computer. 

When it does this, it usually does it when cold. Once the engine is warmed up, it will work fine all day.  It was off and on for about two weeks like this.

However, starting Saturday morning, it will not run at all.  It starts and idles, but it dies once throttle is opened.

I've checked all connections.  Mallory 6a is flashing 3 lights on startup.

Do I have a faulty MAF sensor?  Is the SMT6 failing? 

Since I have the WAR chip, can I remove the SMT6 and Mallory 6a and just run the WAR chip?  I really like the ability to tune while the engine is running, but I think I would give that up to have a simpler and more reliable system.

Please advise on how I can troubleshoot.  Thanks!!

Scottie Sharpe
San Jose CA

scottiesharpe

Re: Removing SMT6 and Mallory 6a from War Chip system
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 04:48:14 PM »

Update.  I was able to reset the SMT6 and got the car started.  I think the SMT6 forgot its settings when the battery was disconnected.

Unfortunately, while the car was idling, I smelled something melting and noticed smoke coming from fuse box.  Disconnected battery. Green wires leading to the unfused side of fuse 6 are melted badly.  Engine harness destroyed.  Chassis harness badly damaged. 

I think the SMT6 just short circuited. 

The melted wire is green and leads into Fuse 6.   

See attachment.

scottiesharpe

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »

Update. The short was not caused by the SMT6, but rather the original harness to the coil which was taped up shorted out against the chassis.  Damage is mostly to the plug that connects the engine harness to the fuse box. Need both sides of that plug. Got car running but SMT6 still acts very strangely.  Sometimes it runs ok, other times it doesn't run at all.  Acts as if MAF sensor is not working, meaning it will idle but as soon as you open throttle, it dies.

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »

Hey Scottie,

Brody, here. It has been such a long time! I honestly can't remember all the details about your car. I was a newb in the company when Dan and I were last down there. However, it looks like you are getting somewhere with the car. Dan may be able to shed some light but I know he is busy right now with a project and with him living in Seattle now, I talk to him when I absolutely need to!

Let me know if you don't get a reply from him in the next day or so.

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

scottiesharpe

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »

Yeah, good to hear from you Brody!

Hope all is well. 

I'd be interested in eliminating the SMT6 from my system and just running the WAR chip for programming.  I do not mine keeping the Mallory 6a in the system if it improves spark quality.

Also I want to find out about your M88/3 intake boots. Mine are going to need replacing sometimes soon due to age. 

Hey Scottie,

Brody, here. It has been such a long time! I honestly can't remember all the details about your car. I was a newb in the company when Dan and I were last down there. However, it looks like you are getting somewhere with the car. Dan may be able to shed some light but I know he is busy right now with a project and with him living in Seattle now, I talk to him when I absolutely need to!

Let me know if you don't get a reply from him in the next day or so.

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »

Scottie, I was digging around in our ridiculous amount of files in our archived stuff and found a tune with your name on it. I am assuming it is your "current" tune but it has been so incredibly long that I can't be 100% certain of it's requirements. There are no notes on the file but it was created in 2009.

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook