War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELP: Oxygen sensor + AFR gauges question  (Read 10302 times)

Alameer

• Administrator
  • Car: 1986 M50B30
    • View Profile
HELP: Oxygen sensor + AFR gauges question
« on: March 10, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »

Hey guys,

my oxygen sensor is shot, so i want to get a new one. at the same time i want to get an AFR gauge as i'm going supercharged very soon.
i have my eyes on the AEM kit, with model number (30-4100) which says that has options such as (which i think are the ones i need):

Includes Bosch 4.2 sensor for optimum accuracy and reliability
0-5v analog output included for use with data loggers and virtually any engine management system
0-5v analog output Gasoline values from 10 to 20:1 AFR

so my question is: if i get the AEM kit, will it eliminate the need for a separate oxygen sensor, or do i need to get both the oxygen sensor and the AEM kit and mount both of them?

my car is a 2.8 stroked M50 engine running a 413 DME with a W.A.R chip.

your input on this issue is highly appreciated

nate

• Car: Stroked E36 325is
    • View Profile
Re: HELP: Oxygen sensor + AFR gauges question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:35:37 AM »

Your WAR chip has the ability to turn off your stock narrowband O2 sensor. If you do this, you can put your wideband O2 sensor in the stock O2 bung and eliminate the narrowband all together.

e30productions

• Car: 1987 bmw 325is e30 (BEAM)
  • E30 PRODUCTIONS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:45:11 PM »

yes this is true you can turn off the o2 sensor and eliminate your narrow band and then put your wide band o2 in its place however if you do this and you want a different tune on your car and you want the computer to caluclate from the o2 sensor it cannot because you have no o2 sensor for it to read i would just do two slots but you never know the choice is up to you

Alameer

• Administrator
  • Car: 1986 M50B30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »

I have talked to people from AEM and Innovate, and they told me that the wideband sensor works at 0-5v signal, while the O2 sensor is 0-1v signal, so i can't use the wideband to replace the O2 sensor as it will give false readings.

i will stick to setting up the 2 sensors together, one for the CPU in order to do the compensation of the fuel once the CPU detects anything wrong, and one for my eyes to keep my attention if anything wrong happens that the CPU can't handle.

I hope my experience benefits other people.

nate

• Car: Stroked E36 325is
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 06:10:29 AM »

We were not suggesting to use the signal from the wideband and feed it to your DME in replace of the stock sensor. We were saying simply turn it off and don't use it. Many AFR controllers have a narrow band output that you can use for you DME to simulate the stock sensor. So if you don't want to turn it off and don't want to use two sensors that is another option.

Profile36

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 10:23:10 AM »

I wouldnt disable the o2 sensor unless you are looking to tune and make adjustments. The o2 feedback is very usefull so turning it off does you no good.

Most widebands out there: AEM, PLX, Innovate, can work as a wideband or a narrowband, your DME accepts a narrowband signal.

You can use only one bung in your exhaust and make it work however, if you use the AEM wideband to feed a narrowband signal and leave your o2 sensor unplugged you will still get a check engine light as it will be looking to see the resistance from the heating circuit. In this case you can leave your o2 sensor plugged in and simply not install it in the exhaust, or use a resistor.

- Marcin