War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Running Lean  (Read 9560 times)

vaiskhaleghi

• Car: BMW E36 Turbocharged
    • View Profile
Running Lean
« on: December 20, 2014, 03:19:06 PM »

Hey guys I'm having some issues with the AFR's. The chip and miller performance have been great. Ok here is my setup,
Fully build m50
mls hg
miller 60lb package.
3inch exhause.
Full 3inch intercooler piping.
using base tune provided by miller.
So here is the problem. My car idles at 11s sometimes little high 11 which i have no issues with. But when I drive the car that's when the car leans out a lot. At about 5% throttle the AFR's are in 17-18. At about 10 or little over the car is still around 17 and it hesitates. I did pressure test no leaks and no vacuum leaks. The fuel pump is 255 filter is clean brand new. I can't think of anything else please help. :-\

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Running Lean
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »

Have you checked fuel pressure? Other than that, try adding a bunch of fuel to both part throttle fuel maps in the RPM which this happens from the first column to say the 6th. Also, is it just lean at this small throttle positions or is it lean like this everywhere?

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

vaiskhaleghi

• Car: BMW E36 Turbocharged
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 12:00:47 AM »

Yes Ive checked the fuel pressure regulator and replaced it. At any given speed I'm running lean unless I go 50% or more throttle and go to complete boost almost then the afrs run much better. But if I'm cruising or taking off from a light from the start the afrs are 17 and 18
And I don't want to drive it like this I don't mind running rich but lean is not what I perfer.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:03:52 AM by vaiskhaleghi »

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 04:05:36 PM »

Try adding a bunch of fuel to the low end of the part throttle fuel maps. Turn off your O2 sensor as well and see if that helps.

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

bulletholez

• Car: 95 325i Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »

I literally had this EXACT same problem, but it happened after I ran the turbo base file for a while. As of right now I turned O2 sensors ON and added 40-50 points across P/T HP/TQ maps, along with 40-50 points in both WOT maps. Car runs at about 14.7 cruising out of boost and 11.5 at 15psi flat to redline.

Now I'm having idle issues where the car runs extremely rich at idle and in p/t conditions (11:1) when it's warming up that changing the tune doesn't seem to fix, then when it's completely up to temp it idles like crap and dies most of the time (mind you I completely got rid of the CT based idle fuel and p/t additions.) Tomorrow I'll be turning o2 sensors off and trying to dial that in some more and solve the issue.

Hope this gets you on the right track.

bulletholez

• Car: 95 325i Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »

This is a long shot, but I just pulled apart the top end of my motor, and since I've boosted the car (and this running issue slowly started happening) I realized my VANOS seal is DONE for! Parts on order, not sure if this could be the cause, but the known symptoms sure point in that direction, and other than that everything on the motor looks fine. Maybe someone from Miller could comment if that could cause these issues? I'll reply once the parts come in.