War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WOT IGNITION TIMING  (Read 12916 times)

e30productions

• Car: 1987 bmw 325is e30 (BEAM)
  • E30 PRODUCTIONS
    • View Profile
WOT IGNITION TIMING
« on: January 25, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »

I was curious if anybody knew how many numbers on the tuning software  are equivalent    to 1 degree of timing on the warchip tuning software . what im trying to say is how many numbers do you need to move up that is equivalent to 1 degree of ignition timing??

Alameer

• Administrator
  • Car: 1986 M50B30
    • View Profile
Re: WOT IGNITION TIMING
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:47:34 AM »

interesting question, anyone got input on this ?

e30productions

• E30 PRODUCTIONS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »

yea i would really like to know. they say 10 points on the fuel scale on the tuning software is equal to 1 air fuel ratio so idk if its the same on the ignition timing but i would love to know it would save me test runs on the street with my car

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:49:32 PM »

Timing is displayed in real world values. If timing is 22° and you type 23, you now have 23° There is math involved in displaying timing in a real world value. Because of that, and how the timing sequence is measured/monitored by the ECU sometimes you can't hit an exact number.

Example, on the M3.3.1 ECU (413/506) Timing is adjustable every 0.75° so if you are sitting at 22.50 and type 23, it will bump up to 23.25° Or if you hit the purple control buttons in the top right of the software, it will advance said cell by 0.75°

As far as fuel goes, we don't display it in a real world number. It is displayed as the raw unfiltered number. One of the reasons is there are a few different ways you can display it in a real world number, but for 99% of people, that will only lead to MORE confusion believe it or not. The 10 values per 1 full Air Fuel ratio is something for fuel only. It skews a little bit when you start playing with injector sizes etc, BUT generally, each bump in the fuel numbers is equal to 0.1 air fuel.

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

e30productions

• E30 PRODUCTIONS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »

that helped alot thank you im just trying to advance my ignition timing for a na tune and the rule of thumb is a more advanced motor the better but do not go too much or it will cause pinging in the motor. i have a bosh 153 ecu in my 1987 bmw 325is e30 and my max ignition timing number around 4040 rpm's is 69 and if that is real world numbers that is adavced to 69 degrees of timing. just seems a little much but i have not had a problem yet. all i am seeing so far is more horsepower and torque when i am on wot ignition timing. so if that is correct on igniton timing like you said if its 23 on the software that is 23 degrees or 23.25 or varies a little??? is that correct??? what i am trying to say is if my number is 45 that is 45 degrees of igniton timing???

e30productions

• E30 PRODUCTIONS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:47:22 PM »

????

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »

You can have far too much advance and not have pinging you will just start loosing power. What tune are you running. Email it to us and we can check it out for you.

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

ilateapex

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 05:58:43 AM »

There was a software bug at one time that displayed higher timing numbers then were actually there.  When I first tuned my engine my tuner was freaking out by the ignition numbers but after calling Broady we found that the tuning software was displaying it wrong.  This was from 2011 so depending on when you got your software I would assume you are OK but still something to check.

Michael