War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: software not launching from chip  (Read 14852 times)

mbb

software not launching from chip
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »

I recently purchased my 2nd WAR chip, this one used in a 179 ECU for a M30B34 w/the MAF upgrade and Motronic 1.3 conversion (in an '82 635). When I plug in the ECU, I can see the 5 files, but the software doesn't launch, the wizard doesn't run to install it.  This is a Dell Windows XP 5.1, fresh Java 8 ver. 25, good wireless internet connectivity.  Not sure what's happening, I've double-checked everything I can think of but nothing launches and w/o the installed software I can't access the files. Anyone have any thoughts on what I can try?  Thanks, Mike

lagwagon

• View Profile
Re: software not launching from chip
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »

Did you buy the chip used? Some people delete the install files from the chip

mbb

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »

Update: yes, the chip is used. The PO sent me a link to the WAR software, its an old version (1.1 I think). The computer loads it, but hooking up to the ECU it just sits and waits to recognize the chip. Reminds me of the first WAR softwar version issues.  Anyone recall how to load up the newer version to get rid of the bugs?   Thanks, Mike

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:45:30 AM »

In the support section there are links to the setup wizard. www.millerperformancecars.com/customer99/wiz

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

mbb

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »

Well this is frustrating, I download the WAR software, select the 179 files, all looks well. But hooking up to my ECU still is a dead fish, the software continues to look for the chip but never seems to find it. Reminds me of the early versions where the computer chugged away but never hooked up to the chip. Any thoughts? The chip shows files when plugged into the computer, 5 files total.  I'm out of ideas.  Mike

mbb

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »

Well, some progress. The software now acknowledges the chip. But when I read the ECU files I get an error message "incompatible data file type".  The tunes don't show any data although the tune tabs are populated once I acknowledge the error message for each of the four tunes.  Also I'm confused about how the ECU files downloaded off of the support link can be written to my ECU.  I suspect I've got different version or something like that.  Any thoughts, any ideas?  Thanks, Mike

millerperformance

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »

I can't replicate your problem. What color is WAR Chip? If you are getting an incompatible data file error, you MAY be using old tunes that the person provided you. There is a change in tune encryption structure from V1 to V2 software/files. If you are using the tunes from the setup wizard, all should be good. If you need to find those files, they are located at.

C:/documentsandsettings/ “username” /wc

WAR cadet

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »

Incompatible data file also mean that you do not have an ecu type selected (look at the blue bar up top, should say "Miller WAR chip bosch 413/506" or similar) To select ecu type click tools, select/add ecu type before reading files.

mbb

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:47:56 PM »

The WAR chip is black and says Rev. 5B on it.  You're right, the ECU wasn't selected in the software, I found the 179 in the tools and it read the 4 tunes.  Thank you for that.  The software seems to be running a little shaky but it might be my computer clock speed, a bit slow.

I don't understand how to get the tunes downloaded from the support link software to my chip. When I load the software from the link it puts it on my PC but I don't see the tune files anywhere.  How do I save a tune from the website so I can write it to my chip? 

Thanks for all the help, I'm a little slow with this kind of stuff.  40 years of being a backyard mechanic can be a hindrance sometimes.  Best regards, Mike

millerperformance

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 09:17:26 PM »

If you check out this forum, on the main page, you will see the WAR Room section. There, you can find your appropriate ECU and go into the tune cache for said ECU type. You will find a list of available tunes with a link at the bottom to download. This is something we just posted late last week to make the WAR Chip as convenient as possible.

here is a quick link to it: http://forums.millerperformancecars.com/index.php?topic=38.0

mbb

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 05:46:13 AM »

That makes it easy.  Appreciate all the assistance.  Using the WAR chip is getting easier all the time!  Thanks, Mike Burbank