War Chip Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fuel Issues  (Read 18417 times)

Candy4M3

Fuel Issues
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:47:01 AM »

Hey guys, I have the 60lb injectors, the blow thru, and base turbo map. I have an aeromotive 340lph with aeromotive FPR. From my understanding, our idle fuel pressure should be around 3.5 bar (51psi) with no vacuum. My car is incredibly lean at this point. In order to keep my a/f ratio's normal up to 10psi, i have to keep my fuel pressure at 4.5 bar (67psi) with no vacuum at idle. So at 10psi of boost my fuel pressure is close to 80psi. I know these readings are not where they should be. Any thoughts? It is a 95 m3 with S50. 

millerperformance

• Administrator
  • Car: The WAR Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »

What version of the software are you running, Go to Help, About and the version number will be listed in the pop up. Also, are you using Windows XP and the proper JAVA version?

One more question, are you using "english" as your computers language? The only time we've seen a 0 problem is when the computer uses a comma (,) instead of a period (.) for decimal places. Eg 34,5 instead of 34.5 That makes it trip up.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:27:01 PM by millerperformance »

Pistons & Rods | MAF Conversions | Cams | Tuning Packages | Contact | Facebook

Candy4M3

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »

Our fuel pressure issue has been solved, it was a hardware issue  ::) thank you. Our new issue now is hitting 15psi during WOT, the car starts backfiring and popping (similar to rev limiter). Everything is fine at WOT up to 10psi. The tune hasn't been modified. So far all i did was replace the spark plugs in case one was misfiring under the increased pressure but problem persists. Yes everything is English.

millerperformance

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »

What is your spark plug gap? It should be between .023" and .025"

Candy4M3

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »

.025 but is the spark plug gap, i did a boost leak test today and found a few small leaks pre-maf and a leak post maf, going to try some WOT pulls in high gear tomorrow so i can watch a/f a little better and will post results.

millerperformance

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »

I thank you very much for the work you are doing to find possible issues with your hardware and not 100% blaming the product. Too many customers do not know how to troubleshoot their cars or simply think they can't make a mistake.

Again, thanks for documenting your findings here, it will be a big help if more people like you take the time to tell us the small issues they find with their projects that can lead to fixing the problems!  :)

Candy4M3

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:13:05 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, I'll try to help around as much as I can. It turned out my air intake temp sensor was giving a false reading, thus forcing me to run such high pressure just to get the car moving right. I'll follow up my findings in the morning.

Candy4M3

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »

Update: All boost/air leaks have been addressed, faulty air intake temp sensor replaced, removed fuel filter to check for flow restriction. Although my idle a/f ratios have improved with the fixes, I'm still going lean under load. It isn't minor either, high gear at pedal in WOT position, im getting 15's-16's a/f. I didnt feel comfortable to boost. Here's a video of it. If you pause in the beginning you can get a good look at the gauges for reference (i dont know why my video got stretched out). Top left gauge is Wideband, Top right is Boost, Bottom right is Fuel Pressure. If i increase line pressure from regulator to a minimum 60psi at idle, everything is normal under load.

View My Video

millerperformance

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »

Update: All boost/air leaks have been addressed, faulty air intake temp sensor replaced, removed fuel filter to check for flow restriction. Although my idle a/f ratios have improved with the fixes, I'm still going lean under load. It isn't minor either, high gear at pedal in WOT position, im getting 15's-16's a/f. I didnt feel comfortable to boost. Here's a video of it. If you pause in the beginning you can get a good look at the gauges for reference (i dont know why my video got stretched out). Top left gauge is Wideband, Top right is Boost, Bottom right is Fuel Pressure. If i increase line pressure from regulator to a minimum 60psi at idle, everything is normal under load.

View My Video

How many RPM does it stay lean for? Does it come back to normal after that lean spike?

Candy4M3

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »

its lean all the way through. only rich spike i get is when i let off the throttle. its almost as if the injectors need to be putting out a bit more than they are maby increase pulse width?, it seems the only remedy is to increase the line pressure to compensate for the injectors.

Candy4M3

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »

I kept going up in RPM with normal line pressure only one time, thinking it was just a lean spike in the mapping...long belond the turbine housing got so hot it started melting my M-Power cover onto my exhaust manifold creating a world of smoke under the hood. I haven't dared to do it again. The car didn't like it at all. I am currently driving the car with the increased line pressure and its wonderful.

millerperformance

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »

Very strange. We've never used after-market fuel pressure regulators. An after market pump usually increases the fuel pressure too. Make sure there isn't a big voltage drop to the pump. Usually, the base tunes are on the rich side and people have to lean out the car. Did you get your 60# injectors from us? In the past, customers thought they had 60# injectors but really had 55# and that caused a problem.

Candy4M3

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »

Yep, i have the whole kit from miller. The tune, 60# injectors, blow thru maf. If there was a big enough voltage drop i would imagine it wouldn't be able to supply the 75psi+ to keep the line full with fuel. I'll double check tomorrow. I'll even stick in a thick gauge power wire for the pump even though i didn't think it would need it yet. I'll post my findings when i get a chance to check sometime this week.

millerperformance

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:17 PM »

The other possibility is that your system just flows VERY well. If that is the case, all you have to do is add fuel globally, or in the maps that you need the extra fuel.

Candy4M3

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 09:33:44 PM »

Hmm i haven't thought of that. Messing with maps isn't my strong suit haha ;D. Is there a short way i can increase the fuel globally? Or do i have to increase each point individually? If so, can you give me a general number to increase my fuel numbers by? It would take me forever to try increasing all of them little by little, then write to chip and test. Especially with no dyno :/
Pages: [1] 2